Friday, July 18, 2008

Two is a Coincidence

Three is a collection.

As of today, I am now the owner of a vintage Schwinn collection. I, unknowingly, began this collection two summers ago when I worked at Bike Club in D.C. One came into the shop, and the owner/ manager (Phuoc van Pham) allowed me to have it. It was in a certain state of disrepair, but after a few late nights, I got it looking like this: 



I "gave" it to my mom, but after crashing it the first time she rode it, she has yet to ride it again. Everything on the bike is original, other than the wicker panniers and the white tape. It also lacks the signature Schwinn "S" seat, which my second bike in the collection still has. 

At the very end of that same summer, another vintage Schwinn came into the shop, and because I felt I had to have it, I bought it from Phuoc. It was in great shape when I got it, and all I had to do was wash it, and put some elbow grease into getting rust out of the fenders. If I go out for a cruise around the neighborhood or to StarButts, this is what I most often use. I never had it in the mountains because the gearing and back-pedal breaks makes it a little impractical. 





I came upon the third in my collection today, when we went to my mother's collegue's house. He is moving in the next few weeks, and the vintage Schwinn in question beglonged to his wife. She used it while she was at U. of Illinios. When he found out that I had two other Schwinns, he thought it would be a suitable home. 





And so began my collection: 


No comments: