Friday, May 9, 2008

The Day Before

Today was a crazy busy day. I may have aggravated that on my own by drinking way too much at the bar, and then attempting to get a good night sleep (how dare I?!). Last night was a journey through the world using beer at my transportation; Tsingtao, Delerium, Magic Hat, Blue Moon, Bud Light (I DID NOT buy this beer), Red Stripe, and a Harpoon IPA. It felt really good, even on the walk back to my dorm, but once I laid in my bed, I got a case of the spins that persisted for at least the next four hours. I vaguely remember making a hot pocket around 3am, but only vaguely. 

Today started with a driving, yes a driving, tour of the Lees-McRae campus. If you have not had the pleasure of visiting our lovely campus, then it might be nice to add here that you can see the entirety of the campus from one end to the other just standing in one place. A car was hardly necessary, but I have quickly learned that argument and reason are to be abandoned when the extended family is in town. Just smile, nod, and secretly bite the bullet. Hard. 

I have learned a lot about my family in this trip, and have for the first time really seen my grandparents as real people, not just romanticized notions or archetypal visions. My grandfather is in a frightening state, as he is battling a cancer that may never leave him. He expressed his fear to me this morning, and I had a hard time keeping it together. It has been an emotional rollercoaster for the past few days, and I dont think I am pulling into the docking station anytime soon. 

After the tour was the Alumni luncheon. Where I got the below pin. Note: Low cost. Classy. 



Then it was to graduation rehearsal, where I was delighted to find my seat in the front row and devastated to find that the evil Deb Thatcher discontinued the honors tassels. Doesn't she know I was trying to commodify my academic experience and accomplishments? How dare she?! 

Below are a few examples of my new academic regalia. 








And below is the result of the entirety of the day with the family. Cracked. Hard. Ha. 



So, people tell me that tomorrow is a big deal. I will have to obtain empirical evidence and report back later. 



No comments: