Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Itching and Burning

No, its not herpes . . .

So today, I had to be picked up from a ride. This was only the second occasion of such an occurrence in my history of cycling; the first being when Kristi had to pick up Gonzalo and myself from Johnson City precisely two weeks after I had started riding, nearly three years ago. Why we rode to JC is a whole 'nother story for a whole 'nother day. 

Today the itching, burning, blinding eye lid rash struck again, even worse than yesterday. Finally, at the point of screaming, crying, or punching myself out (not sure which I would have done had it come to that) I pulled over, squeezed nearly an entire bottle of water into my eyes, and called my mom. We agreed to meet at a school about five miles from where I was calling.

This turned into the longest five miles known to humanity. Within those miles, I tried many techniques to relieve the excruciating pain, and finally settled on a system of glasses-less riding, opening only one eye at a time for intervals of one minute. I can only imagine what passing cars thought of my face, but that was far from my concern at the time. When I got to the school, I doused my eyes in water again, and closed them until my mom arrived. 

I have resolved to get a new helmet, some sweat bands (jasweet!), and more appropriate riding glasses. Hopefully, one of these or the combination of all of them will help to alleviate my itching, burning, blinding, eyelid rash syndrome.  

Any additional suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

1 comment:

Kristi said...

Alternate itchy eyelid possibilites:

http://symptoms.wrongdiagnosis.com/cosymptoms/itchy-eyelid.htm